[RC] My OD...sometimes the bear gets you...part 1 - Laura Hayes

I have finally had a night's rest after being awake for 40 hours, and =
want to get this down before I forget much.

To summarize all this in one sentence...The bear got me, but I had a =
heck of a good weekend...now the story:

Along with some smashing successes at rides, my mare, Equal Terms has =
had some problems in the past with ulcers and colic and such, and if she =
belonged to anyone else, I would have advised them to get a new horse =
and quit messing around.  But I knew in my heart she was the most =
physically talented of all the horses I have ridden, and we had a bond I =
was not ready to give up on - so we persevered.  After riding her for a =
1000 miles of competition, I backed off and started from the beginning =
again, and after almost another year of going slow and her learning to =
eat and drink, we were ready to step things up a little.  We won and =
BC'd the Michaux 75 two weeks ago, and I was on cloud nine- I finally =
had the horse I knew she could be, and I was ready to tackle the trail =
at Old Dominion - one of the most difficult rides in the world.

In 1987 or 1988 I was at OD 100 with Rushcreek Noel and was pulled =
riding Calvary, at the 80 mile mark.  I had not had a horse, or the =
time, or the situation in life to be able to try the 100 again until =
this year- so this was a 19 year grudge match between me and this trail, =
and I decided to do it Calvary. "Like it is not hard enough??" my ever =
patient husband asks.  I signed him up to vet, so I didn't have a crew =
anyway....

Laura Hayes
Vine Cliff Farms
Brocton, NY