Re: [RC] AHA and Juniors at the National Ride - Mary Ann Spencer

This is a very good point..... and I am guilty of it due to not being able to consistently compete and the cost seems to go up on yrs that are not so good financially.  Not a good excuse but a reality of life.  mas
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2005 11:21 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] AHA and Juniors at the National Ride

The National Endurance and CTR committee's don't have anything to do with establishing the costs of the AHA programs.  Note there is a difference between Regional and National "ride rules and awards" vs. AHA "programs."  The mileage programs have been around for quite some time, I believe started somewhere in the early 90's maybe late 80's.  When they first started they were around $15 or $20 a year per horse.  I think it's pretty logical to conclude that the increases over the years are related to increases in overhead and labor to keep track of the horses in the programs as well as cover the costs of the awards.  I do know that AHA tries to keep as many programs as possible self funded, meaning money taken in from those enrolled in the programs cover most of the cost related to the programs.  There is also some impact from the merger of IAHA and the Registry to form AHA.  AHA is working on getting back on it's financial feet so to speak.

One thing I would toss out for all distance riders who own registered Arabs & Part-Arabs is to join AHA.  I don't have the figures in front of me right now but I did some research in this area about a year and a half ago.  Right now the distance riders who are members of AHA represent less than 2% of the total AHA membership.  When you are going to AHA and asking for more programs, which cost more money, it's hard to be persuasive when you represent such a small portion of the membership.  Now if ALL of the members of AERC who have Arabs joined AHA we would represent just over 10% of the membership!  A very substantial change in our favor.  Now if you really want to have fun...if all of the pleasure trail riders joined with the distance riders and all became members of AHA we would represent 60 to 70% of the membership.  AHA is very aware of this, thus the reason they are starting to try to implement more programs like the frequent rider programs etc.  We're estimating that about 75-80% of all registered horses are owned by non show people.

Another way distance riders shoot themselves in the foot is the lack of participation in the Regional and National rides. One of the first questions asked at the convention are how many horses participated in these events.  Numbers like 5 horses in region X, and 7 horses in region Y don't do much for our cause.  When there is an open ride held with a regional ride and the open ride starts 80 horses and the regional starts 5 horses I have to say I would have questions myself.  But that's another topic.

MKS

--
dangerous content by IntelliBlock MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.