Re: [RC] Question for all you barefoot riders who boot - ebeyrider

My horse uses his hind end quite well, so his back feet wear short before his
front feet. Most of our conditioning rides are done with boots on the hind
only.
We did a 30-mile ride a few weeks ago, barefoot on front. He has done several
50s completely barefoot, but now we boot on all four for competition.
We are currently using the EasyBoot EPICS and just completed our second
100-miler in them - without incident. I didn't have to touch them from 4 a.m.
when I put them on, unti 1:30 next a.m. when I took them off.
AND . . .
On the front, we tested two of the new (soon to be available) EPIC BUNGEES, and
they were awesome! The difference is that there is NO BUCKLE on the front of
the EasyBoot. That means, no crawling in the dark at 1:30 a.m. to remove a
mud-encrusted cotter pin from the front buckle so you can get the boot off!
PROGRESS IS EXCITING!

I know that one of the big reasons horseshoes work for so many people is because
they are USER FRIENDLY - just write a check every few weeks, and not have to
think about feet again until the next time. And many people agree it would be
nice for the horse to go barefoot, but barefooting and booting is still
uncertain and inconvenient for most people's situations. Understood.

That is why I am SO EXCITED to see each new evolution of these boots, not only
performing better on the horse, but actually more practical for the rider. If
something WORKS and is EASY, then we might actually use them! Understood.

I have a whole duffel bag of dead boots of different brands that didn't work for
enough situations, and I am now going to trash them. The EPICS are constantly
improving, and SOON they will be available in a form that I won't avoid, even
for short rides. Right now, there is a chance of the buckle flipping open if a
cotter pin is not put in the hole. And getting that cotter pin out is a bit of
a bother. I don't want to bother for a 15-mile ride. But the BUNGEES don't need
a cotter pin. . .

Other people are developing boots to be user friendly and stay on for the long
haul without rubbing, so there may soon be other brands that will work for
multi-day riding and 100-milers. But they aren't patented and ready. So for
now, the EPICS will already get you through a 100-miler or a multi-day wthout
cussing. And it is very easy to carry a spare on your saddle and in your crew
bags for insurance.

Karen Chaton has done several multi-day rides in them, and she just took off
herhorse's shoes and went for it. The EPICS are working for her.

I am doing 100-milers, and they are working for me. Consider it. You can always
put shoes back on if it doesn't work for you.

Terry
"Free the feet!"
Quoting Sarah Simmons <surgitech2001@xxxxxxxxx>:

Pete Ramey does a natural trim on my gelding once every 4 weeks. My gelding needs boa boots on his front feet if we go on hard terrain. My question to you all is this:

How many of you that have barefoot horses have to use
both front boots and back boots?

I asked Pete, because I thought my gelding needed hind
boots as he seemed a little tender behind on the
gravel.  He told me of all the horses he has worked
with, he has only seen one horse who NEEDED rear boots
in order to be sound.

What do ya'll think on booting the hind feet?

Sarah in Georgia

__________________________________ Discover Yahoo! Find restaurants, movies, travel and more fun for the weekend. Check it out! http://discover.yahoo.com/weekend.html