[RC] AHA and Juniors at the National Ride - Mollie Krumlaw-Smith

I'm not meaning to wave the AHA flag in this post but before this gets too far I'd like to clarify a couple of things.

First the AHA National Championship Awards as stated in the current AHA Handbook are Champion, Reserve Champion, and Top Ten, and BC in both divisions (Pure and Part).  There currently is no Junior award.  "IF" there is/was a junior award given at a National Ride it has been donated by a group or individual as an additional award.  Remember the sweepstakes program is stand alone and has it's own set of rules. The awards for the national ride are clearly stated in article 1604 with the allowance for any additional awards being item 4. section a.

I'm on the AHA National Endurance Committee and immediately following the 2005 Biltmore we were asked to vote on adding a Junior National award beginning with the 2006 Nationals as an AHA "official" award.  I believe the vote was unanimously for this addition.  Just as an FYI, the national committee is made up of one member from each region.  As a committee we have the ability to agree on rules changes, in this case the addition of the Junior Award, and then ask that the Executive (regional directors) Committee vote to accept our proposal and authorize the funding for the award.

AHA is not against juniors.  In the show world they have their own nationals.  As endurance riders it is up to us to ask for what we would like to see changed within the current AHA structure.  I would guess that because this award has been donated by someone each year it's never had to be addressed by a rule change.  If for some reason the Executive Committee would vote down the change, which I very much doubt that they would, I'm sure the Endurance Committee will make sure there is a sponsor for this award going forward.

MKS

Mollie Krumlaw-Smith
^..^~~~~

--
dangerous content by IntelliBlock MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.