RE: [RC] OT--mare in raging heat - heidi

I promised my friend I'd pass this on here to see if any vets or  experienced
breeders have seen this before.  She has a nice little  3-year-old mare who,
in the past, has had a very "passive" heat cycle...the only  way she knows is
the geldings are all interested in her, and she gets kind of a  "dull eye"
(according to the owner).  This week, however, she came into  heat and bit
the
gelding she's pastured with on the neck and tried to mount him,  then chased
him
all over the pasture.  My friend can't ride her with any  geldings right now,
she gets really wicked toward them.  She's just  recently had some
professional training, and the plan was to spend the summer  doing two or
three very
easy rides (about 1/2 hour mostly walking...just getting  her used to the
trail)
a week.  She's been VERY good up until now, both  with other horses, and by
herself.  One vet recommended having her spayed,  but my friend isn't sure
she
wants to do that until she's tried other  options.  I don't have much
experience with mares in heat, so couldn't  offer any advice.  I'd welcome
any feedback
you could offer. Thanks!

This could be just a normal mare "growing up" but there are a couple of
things here that bother me.  One, the fact that this is not the usual
behavior for this mare, and two, that she just came back from the
trainer.  The fact that this has not been her norm makes me think that
perhaps at least some investigation/work-up should be done.  Although
she is on the young side, the mounting behavior can be a sign of an
ovarian tumor.  Usually mares in heat are not apt to mount, although
normal pregnant mares sometimes will.  The fact that she is in heat AND
mounting is a bit odd.  If not an ovarian tumor, I would wonder if
perhaps the trainer gave her any sort of hormones while she was there.
Sometimes testerone-related medications are used if horses are stressed
and go off feed--not very ethical to do so without a vet's advice, but
some trainers get hold of that sort of stuff and use it liberally.  And
these can really mess up how a mare acts, too.

Heidi