[RC] Hoof problem - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Lauretta  tikitiki69@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Can anyone shed some light on this problem??  I am having a
problem keeping a shoe on one of Shaba's hooves; it is the front
one, and is white (his other front is a black hoof; I am not sure
if that makes any difference).  On his last two rides, when we
were cantering/trotting, the shoe has come off.  The first time
the nails just pulled out; this last time some of his hoof broke
off below the nails and it pulled out.  I am having no problem
whatsoever with the other hooves. In the winter, when he was in a
lot of mud, I had the same problem with the exact same foot; just
thought the mud was softening the hoof up and the shoe was then
getting sucked off from the mud.  I have watched him in the
round pen at the trot and canter, and he does not forge/hit the
back of his fronts with his back feet at all.  I am thinking that
on up/downhill (havent been able to check this yet) that he may
be doing this when leading off with this foot and might be
tilting it upwards so that the back edge of the shoe hits first,
then rolling the foot forward and the back edge is catching on
a rock or something.  I am taking him to his shoer tomorrow so we
can go over some options for correcting this, but am starting to
wonder if this particular hoof is maybe weaker than the others,
and possibly just not holding the nails the way it should?? Is
there anything I could either put on the hoof to make it stronger
or feed him that would improve the situation?  It only seems to
occur when we are speeding; if I am just going training ride pace
the shoe stays on just fine.  Any help is appreciated; thanks!
Lauretta and Shaba (It is ouchy when my shoe comes off.....)