Re: [RC] endurance rider's - kazevedo

Quoting Sisu West Ranch <ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

"...Bottom line is a quarter horse will never go like an Arabian and they
need to be ridden differently due to their mass and cooling issues..."

I agree 100% on the cooling issues, but there are QH's and there are QH's.
Skeeter, who was speed QH, would routinely trot at 10 mph.  His record was a
15 mile loop in an hour and 10 minutes or so.  His overstriding trot was
something else.

  I too have a fast-trotting QH (actually registered Paint), who is a retired
ranch horse that we got as a 17 or 18 year old.  He can out trot most of the
arabians we've ridden with and prefers that speed.  Because he is *very* thick-
muscled (he's not built like a racing QH) he gets puffy and will never be
blessed with a low heart rate throughout a ride like arabians.  We definitely
have to take rests throughout the ride even when he's in top shape. Though he
would do it if he was asked, I wouldn't think of taking him on a 50, so we
stick to 25s.  I'm sure he would be able to, but it would be quite
uncomfortable to be so huffy puffy the whole way through- it'd be kind of like
a huge football player running a marathon- possible but not what he's cut out
to do (that's just how I think of it, but I'm sure there are beefy QHs that
have had endurance careers).
  Lori I read your post about rough trotting, and Robin has a very rough one
too- I don't think it's quite as uncomfortable as that of the horse you're
starting it sounds like.  I haven't looked into ideas about how smooothen the
trot, but I suppose if it is because he has a lot of impulsion (lots of up and
down movement) you could work on lengthening it in the arena.  Two is really
young-- with time he might just figure it out by himself??
  Because Robin is pretty much set in his ways after all his years my mom and
I just tolerate the trot and *really* enjoy when he breaks into a canter. :)

-Katie