[RC] Teaching a horse to walk faster... - kazevedo

On Jun 1, 2005, at 5:42 PM, Stacy Sadar wrote:

<<<Try training with someone else on parts of the trail.? My Arab walks very
SLOOOOOW.? So slow that we have to trot to catch up to anyone because he falls
so far behind when we all walk.? But he has a nice trot speed.? I like the slow
walk because it lowers his heart rate very nice.? He has a nice trot and canter
speed though.?>>>

I, too, have an arab who walks slow, it's like he spends more energy holding
himself back when his front feet hit, then actually propelling himself forward
during the stride (if that makes sense).  That's good that you like the slow
walk Stacy (I wish I did), but it annoys me quite a bit- I'd like to be able to
ask for a faster walk when need be.  Earlier this week we went on a beach ride
at a walk with 4 fast-walking horses, and my arab (15 hands, long legs) could
not keep up at a walk not matter what I tried.  I "paddled" much of the way,
and tried a few different things, but he just didn't *get* how to do it.  I was
tired after a couple miles of falling behind and trotting to catch up so I let
him do a slow, slow trot that was the same speed as the others' walks <sigh>.
I've asked one of my mentors about how to develop his walk, and here are two
ways to do it (both with which she's had success):
1.  Do a multiday or slow endurance ride with a horse that has a fast walk.  It
might "click" in the horses mind after all those miles of (mostly) walking how
to extend and push for a nice strong walk. (My friend said this really worked
for her mare... and that mare was one of the horses I rode with two days ago at
the beach... I can hardly believe that horse ever walked slow, her walk is
enormous!).
2.  Ride everyday in the arena with the intention of lengthening the stride at
the walk.  Ask for a faster walk without letting the horse trot (keep good
contact w/ reins).   It's good to have a crop or dressage whip to tap the horse
if s/he doesn't accelerate with leg, seat, and/or voice command.

I hope I might be able to teach my horse how to walk faster, I know he's
capable of it.  Just thought I'd share with anyone interested those two
suggestions I've run across.
Happy Trails,
Katie