RE: [RC] Feeding underweight youngster - Susan E. Garlinghouse, D.V.M.

From a nutritional point of view, your youngster is essentially an adult and
can be fed like one.  Somewhere around 10% overall protein is sufficient,
which is more than supplied by a decent hay.  The orchard grass you
mentioned would be fine, or the orchard/alfalfa mix.  Some access is good
pasture is always nice for the vitamins and other goodies that don't survive
the haying and baling process intact.

Aside from getting him dewormed, you might consider putting him onto a good
quality, all-round supplement.  I'm not a big fan of feeding grain when the
horse isn't working hard, and even then, I don't tend to feed a lot.  So my
preference is mixing a complete vitamin-mineral supplement into just a
handful or two of wet beet pulp.  There are plenty of good supplements out
there, my personal favorite is Platinum Performance Equine Wellness.  The
website is www.platinumperformance.com .  I'm not sure if you need a vet's
referral to order it, if you do, you can use my name.  You can use PP, or
something else that strikes your fancy, but make sure it's a complete
supplement, not just something for a shiny coat, or something for healthy
feet, or whatever.  Find a supplement that's one-stop shopping.

As you've already mentioned, be patient about making feed changes, and
you're good to go.

JMO.
Susan Garlinghouse, DVM, MS