RE: [RC] re: RP users - Jim Holland

Sunny doesn't spook at much of anything, probably because when he was young
I got on his case about it so much.  He will normally "tell me" with his
body language when he's gonna spook, and I can say "Ainnnnt!" and he will
"sidle" by whatever it is and just go on.  Sometimes when he's startled, he
will do the "full Arab teleport", but his is a variation.  He knows that
pisses me off, so he will teleport six feet to the side, leaving me in mid
air, then teleport six feet back, pick me up and continue on as though
nothing happened, flicking an ear back to see if I'm gonna whack him. I'm so
used to that, I just "hang" there until he comes back for me. :)

Magic is a lot smaller and "quicker" than Sunny, and when he was young, did
some awe inspiring 180 rollbacks.  After lots of "Damn it, Magic!", and
"training", he finally got over the rollbacks.  Now he does the "50
mph-to-zero-what's THAT??" spook with a variation. He slams on the brakes
and turns 90 degrees, resulting in a flying dismount. If I'm lucky, I grab a
handful of mane and "dismount" standing up. Thankfully, he now doesn't do
that very often!

I tried the RP Endurance, Multi-function, and AvantGarde saddles.  I didn't
like the thigh blocks on the Endurance saddle....beat me up too much on the
downhills, but I think whether you like or dislike those has to do with how
you ride.  I LOVED the deep seat AvantGarde RP. As soon as I sat in it, I
knew I was gonna buy it.  Like Truman's Jbird, Magic has asymmetrical
shoulders and the RP saddles handle that well. I tuck my knees under the
knee rolls on the downhills, which I ordered in calf leather, and it's
extremely comfortable.  Most of my life, I have ridden Western, and I love a
deep seat. I liked it so much, I bought a second one for Sunny.

It's interesting that Arab owners seem to take great pride in their
horsemanship; and the ability to ride out a spook.  It sorta becomes
something you just accept.  IMHO, it's a small price to pay for the
privilege of riding an Arabian. <grin>

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic