[RC] Head Up TWH - apleg8'n

Laney,

If the head is Up the horse is traveling in a hollow back and yes the back
will tire faster. A good RW the head will be down and relaxed thus the back
will be rounded. Not like a peanut roller down, but not up to the moon.

Now in the showring you will see the head up to the moon because they have
all "SET" the dang heads. In our sport you don't want those heads set. It is
proven that heads that are set will limit the amount of air flow the horse
is getting. None of my horses have or will ever have a head set on them. I
want those necks stretched out as far as they can get them to gulp in as
much air as they can get! Much to the chagrin of the TWH peeps.

If the horse is relaxed in the Running Walk the head is nodding up and down
in rhythm with the  legs. The horse is relaxed. This is not a fast gait,
faster than a foxtrot but don't let anyone tell you that a horse going over
10-12mph is doing a Running Walk...at speeds of over 12mph they are doing a
rack and you will know this by the absence of the head nodding. Plus the
Rack is not as smooth as the lovely RW.

Also Brenda Imus will tell you about shoeing for the showring TW. Shoe your
horse as an endurance horse! Plain and Simple!!  If you have a pacey
horse...you are going to have a pacey horse. Get used to it. Sell it. Take
more time and find a horse that does not ever lean towards a pace. It is a
lazy gait and most difficult to overcome. I will never own a horse that even
thinks P-A-C-E. No offense to anyone, this is just me. I would rather ride a
trotting horse. At least I can post that.

amber