[RC] Hard Guy Story - Suvut

--- Begin Message ---

I've just got to pass along MY hard-guy story.  My "hard guy" is a 27-year-old Arabian gelding named Electric Elite who has owned me for 26 years.  I retired him from competition (after thousands of endurance miles) about 9 years ago.  Since then, he has been ridden very lightly and then turned out as a pasture companion.  I recently started riding him again to get his weight down to an acceptable level.

Yesterday, I took Elite and my 7 year-old gelding, Corey, over to Clark State Forest in Indiana for a pretty hard ride -- not too fast, but LOTS of hills.  For those of you who know the Chicken Chase and Top of the Rock trails, this trail was the infamous "Shaw Lake" trail.  My friend Sharon who rode Elite today, is a pleasure rider who had never ridden those trails.  It was magical seeing the beautiful forestry through new eyes.

And Elite!  The years fell away from him yesterday.  He seemed to remember competing there YEARS ago.  He was full of energy and had a GREAT time!  What a day!  All my concerns and worries about him being too old for a trail like that evaporated!  Clearly, he thinks he is a 10 year old!  What a great old guy!  PS:  This morning, his tendons were cold and tight..... (huge grin.)

Susan (AERC #1108)

--- End Message ---