From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of MJWEST02@xxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 6:45 PM
To: paus@xxxxxxxxxxx; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] hobbles

In a message dated 5/31/2005 1:13:55 PM Central Standard Time, paus@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

He said he had just come back from our local equestrian camp at the state park and had to put down a horse that had been tied to a trailer. The horse had laid down and stuck his front feet under the trailer. he broke a leg when he tried to stand up.

I don't know if this would work for ya'll.  BUT, Clinton Anderson has this really NEAT tie ring that will hold the lead taught, but in a crisis, it will pull through - thereby eliminating having a horse "hang" itself.   It won't prevent the legs getting caught under anything, but the idea of putting partitions under the trailer is a good idea.     You also have the option of looping the lead line around again to get even a tighter hold, but in a crisis (with 900# + pressure) the lead line WILL pull through.

You can attach it on almost anything - I use when tying to the trailer in a strange area - most horses will spook and move only bout 9-10' and then stand still, looking for the boogey man.    That gives you enough time to get to them and still have the horse -that you don't have to track down.

Clinton uses it to teach young horses to be tied and desensitizes them without the horse getting hurt.

Mary