[RC] QuickSilver - a nervous mom's story - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Sandy Holder sandy.l.holder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

For some reason I've never been nervous before a ride (in 4 years, believe it
or not), but THIS RIDE was different. . . it was my daughter's first ride.  Oh
man, they say not to drink the night before a ride but that large glass of wine
was probably the only thing that helped me sleep (but I digress).

It was a beautiful early afternoon the day before the start when we trailered
the 40 minutes from our house to vet the horses in.  We'd decided to bring the
horses to camp, stay for the ride meeting and then head home figuring that if
we slept in our own beds, we'd be that much better off.  After the ride
meeting, we made a brief stop at Feed and Fuel for dinner and each of my
endurance buddies (Dick, Sheila and Patricia) had the joy of laughing at me and
my 'situation' - even my daughter Katie joined in, teasing me about my first
set of pre-ride jitters.

We arrived back at camp early for the 8 a.m. start taking the time to brush and
hang out with our horses beforehand.  I was starting American Justice, my
'greenie' on his first ride and my daughter was starting on Dick Carter's
trusty mare Sister (who we've 'stolen' from him for the last 8 months).  We're
lucky enough to have horses raised in pasture (with LOTS of other horses) so we
just walked out at the start - no muss, no fuss.  Having trained some at
QuickSilver, we knew to walk the first hills and warm up our ponies.  Those
more energized were offered the opportunity to pass and looking back, I was
surprised at how many well mannered horses we went out with.

Dick was doing the 50 and had left earlier in the morning on his Tevis bound
horse Star.  We trotted all the flats and walked the up and downhills.  I'm
sure I asked Katie a million times how she was doing - she just smiled broadly
and laughed, finally telling me not to worry, she was having a great time.  I
must say, it was a beautiful ride and I let my fast walking boy change
positions from last to first and back (almost) to last in our group.  He
handled it well and given the fact that 9 months ago he was an unbroke 10 year
old "free" stallion Dick had found for me (who we almost kept intact due to his
calm demeanor), the conversion to an 11 year old gelding with some training had
only enhanced his thoughtful attitude.  And to my surprise, Sister wanted to be
in front and Katie encouraged her (a first for both of them).  A beautiful day
riding with a few friends and my daughter. . . .

We made it to the first vet check a little under 2 hours with all the horses
down as we walked in.  Unfortunately, when trotting my newly gelded boy out, we
noticed a slight head bob once or twice.  The vet thought I probably could have
walked him the final 10 miles but I decided to go ahead and pull him - Rider
Option - and a good choice I think.  We'll have plenty of time to do other
rides and I'd rather not make something minor into something major by
continuing on.  The challenge now would be for Katie to finish the ride without
me.  Fortunate for us both, we'd brought another of Dick's horses for a friend
to ride (it was Cora's first ride, 6 months after delivering a beautiful baby
boy) so Katie would not go on alone.

Heading back to camp, I now had plenty of time to wait (and worry) about my
lovely 22 year old daughter - the one doctors said I'd 'never be able to have'
- but that's another story.  Oh, the wait. . .

To keep myself busy (and my mind off her final 10 miles), I prepared food for
the ponies, chairs for the people and found the semi frozen 'go-gurts' (yogurt
popsicles) to have ready when everyone came in.  Dick was first, finishing the
50 in 7th place - and looking the BEST I've seen him after a ride.  Only after
helping settle him in, and pacing back and forth for a while, did I figure out
that I HAD to take action - even if it only meant walking to the top of the
ridge with a gallon scoop of water.  Rounding the top - low and behold - THERE
SHE WAS!   Joy, sheer joy - even a little teary eyed, she'd done it!!!  The
water was well received by the thirsty horses, and with a little left over to
pour over their necks (three of them), we headed down the hill into camp.  I'm
sure I 'bounced' more than walked and was happy to see all the horses pulses
down as soon as we came in.  A friend had joined and all three were welcomed by
camp - the last 25 milers to complete the QuickSilver ride.

Katie slid down off her precious girl and I welcomed her with a 'cowboy shower'
- three big scoops out of the water trough!  She fondly repaid me with a wet
hug that left us both laughing and dripping!!  What a day - what a ride - and
to have my daughter enjoying the sport I've grown to love so much!!!!

Thanks Trilby and gang for a beautiful adventure (and handmade BLANKETS  -
WOW), and to everyone else that gave me the emotional support for some reason I
so badly needed that day!!

See ya'll on the trails,
~Sandy (proud mom of Katie Holder - successful LD rider)!!