[RC] Caja del Rio and question about consistency - Marlene Moss

Title: Message
Hi,
We were at the Caja del Rio ride in New Mexico this weekend and had a wonderful time.  Second year for the ride and first time for the ride Manager, Lisa Oberteuffer, who did a wonderful job.  We did the 30 mile ride and got to see some spectacular views from up on top of the Caja.  Great combination of technical rocky stuff and excellent footing to move out a little bit.  Not that we're fast riders, but it's nice to get in a rolling canter here and there.  We didn't get to stay for dinner and awards since hubby had to work on Monday, but I was looking forward to that fajita dinner and I'm sure it was great.

Now for my question.  I have an arab saddlebred cross - have had her for 3 years.  In that time she's had her hip injected as it was out of joint a bit, lots of chiro, pigeon fever (for 5 months), recovery from previous poor shoing angles, had her cunean tendons cut, and a fractured splint bone removed.  IE, lots of time off!  But each time we've addressed something that she probably had for a while, her resting heart rate has improved, her motion has improved and her recoveries have improved a lot.  She can really be a thrill to ride and I think we've finally got to where she can be a consistent competitor.

Another issue that she has always exhibited, but I have probably exacerbated, is that she can be lazy.  It seems that her preferred way of going is to really move out, then slow to nothing and then really move out again.  Very frustrating to me and people riding around us (which we try to avoid when possible).  It does seem to be in her basic nature as she's done this since I've gotten her, but because of all these issues I have avoided pushing her when we're returning to conditioning and by the time I've got her to the point that I was willing to not allow this inconsistent speed, the next issue came up.

She does seem to really love the trail and it's not like she becomes balky in attitude, just enjoys a little recovery time and then back to moving again.  When she moves it can be faster than I prefer - she can trot over 16 mph and I don't want her pounding her legs that much or wearing herself out so that she has to slow again.  So we've been stuck between urging her on and holding her back.  And when we've turn back toward camp, she is much more consistent, which is what is leading me to believe that this is mental, not physical.

So, any suggestions on what I should do?  I plan to just keep trying to even out her speeds, but if anyone has any ideas to make this a little easier, I'd love to hear it.  Or does this all seem to add up to her not being the best candidate for endurance?  I can't see her doing anything else, and I've been trying to make sure I don't overly stress her less than perfect conformation (straight hind legs being the major failing).  The last 2 rides, she has physically done spectacular, great recoveries and no obvious aches or pains, ate and drank wonderfully (with the exception of turning her nose up at our simple grass hay since she's normally on good pasture, but we begged and borrowed alternatives).  In the long run I want to do what's best for her, but I'd hate to put her to pasture just cuz I'm a wimp and allow her to get away with something!

Thanks for any suggestions!
Marlene

Marlene Moss
www.KineticEquineAnalysis.com (saddle fit for the horse in motion)
Next ride for saddle fitting - Happy Jack, WY
www.mphr.org (Mustang Performance Horse Registry)
www.mossrockranch.com (sale horses and more)
719-351-5037 (cell)
719-748-9073 (home)