[RC] TWH dumb question, to fix the gait - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Laura T tichenor06@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Being here in the good ole south, the real south that is, I have come across
many TWH trainer people, show barns, shows, casual riders, etc.  And, a fair
number of shoers too. Even the gaited mule folks too.  Yeah, I went to the
Columbia mule show in Columbia, TN just a bit ago.  That was really quite fun
to see.  The mini mules are so cute, there were mules everywhere, oops off the
topic here.  Gait.

cough (clearing my throat)

Bottom line on what they all say on TWH as to gaiting, trotting, pacing.  This
applies to other gaited horses too, and I would think it does.  Some pace, and
some gait, and some trot too.

They should gait **100%** of the time when not walking, like a casual walk.
When they walk they should *not* ever ever pace.  Pacing is VERY bad.  Of
course, this is for when they are in a bridle.  Not wanting to start the wicked
bits they wear discussions.  Focus on the gait thing.  This is gait only,
assume you are riding normal, like all endurance riders do.

If they tend to pace, then weight the hind feet.

If they tend to trot, then weight the front feet.

If they gait 100% then do whatever to their feet.  Shoe, or barefoot.

Weight means to put heavier shoes on their feet.  Either in the front or the
back, but not both.  The weight is at the toe of the shoe.  I have seen them
and touched them and lifted many of those type shoes.  They make many many
different types of weighted shoes.  Sell them everywhere it seems.  Or maybe
everywhere I see them for sale.  I could give you a couple places to get them
if you want.  These are not the normal shoes.  Some are light, and some I have
lifted must weigh 10#'s each.  Seriously.  They mean business in the TWH
industry, and they want those horses to gait not pace, nor trot.

Laura T
Very north AL, like 2 miles from the TN border.