[RC] Malaysia: Edaran Classic - wrap up - Steph Teeter

I put together my journals and photos at
http://www.endurance.net/edaranclassic -

Wonderful experience, I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Some thoughts and observations:

Endurance CAN be done in the tropics. It will be done more slowly, but it
can be done. Over the course of two days - 160km, 120km, 85km, 40km, 15km
rides - there were NO horses treated. There were some metabolic pulls, but
nothing extreme - this is impressive. The vetting was strict, but the riders
are also very aware. Pacing is everything. Crewing and cooling is very
important if one wants to optimize speed, though there was no on-trail
crewing, only in camp.

The Malaysian riders are dedicated, motivated and very fast learners. They
are joining this sport at a time where UAE has set the standards on
training, racing and crewing. The information is out there, they don't need
to learn how to do Endurance from scratch. They just need to study it, and
apply it to their own peculiar climatic conditions. They have the support of
the country, the business sector, and the Sultan (soon to be King). They
need more horses, I'm certain that the sport will continue to grow there.

There are different riders, different attitudes, just as can be found
anywhere. Cautious riders, riding for the trail and the camaraderie with
their horses and fellow riders. Ambitious riders, intent on competing at the
top level.

The FEI rule which states that riders must qualify for Championship level
events (Certificate of Capability) by completing a 160km ride in 13:20 ride
time or less, cannot be applied to riders in Malaysia. It is too hot and
humid. All the time. This rule makes no sense applied to Malaysia, and is
contrary to FEI's stated concern for the welfare of the horse. The various
National Federations need to communicate with the FEI regarding this rule.
While the intent of the rule has some valid points (only championship level
horses should be competing at championships) it cannot be reasonably applied
as a blanket rule, since variables in climate and terrain play a crucial
role in determining an appropriate and humane winning time. If the rule is
to remain, it must contain exclusion clauses for some Federations, and some
ride venues.

Now, I think I'll go take my horse out for a long ride, back in the Owyhee
country, the smell of sagebrush, fresh spring air.

Steph