[RC] Michaux Madness - Flora Hillman

Unforeseen circumstances forced me to cancel out of Saturday's 75 mile division at the Michaux  Madness 50/50/75, but  ride management graciously  opened a slot for me in the 50 the next day when I found myself lucky enough to get free in time to run up to PA.  I came in 3rd on the 50 last year for this ride's maiden flight , but this year I just wanted to relax, take my time, and enjoy the woodland trails and long stretches of beautiful gravel and park roads.   The Mount Alto State Forest mountains are breath-taking, and the views are stunning. Sunday had to be the most glorious day ever to ride those beautiful, tough trails. I debated taking my camera on the first loop -- in retrospect I wish I had.  However, I did take it on the second loop, snapping away at the vistas and trails.  There was a military jet flyover when I started up the mountain on the 2nd loop  -- I was dying to take a shot of the 3 jets going full bore, but the trees obscured the flight and I could only listen in awe.  My pony ignored the whole thing, including the sonic boom.  What a trooper.  Stopped and talked to two older men who were running the trail, passed a group of western riders out for a stroll, and a husband/wife team of mountain bikers hand walking their bikes up one trail.  Everyone was super friendly -- it was so nice to see how easily we can all share and enjoy the trails together.  One section of trail went through a wild turkey habitat, and lo and behold  we passed a big gobbler who gave us the beady eye before scuttling off into the underbrush.  The peace and beauty of that area just fills the soul. What a wonderful way to spend Memorial Day in reflection for those who gave their lives so we could enjoy such a country as this.

Applause and kudos to Skip and Barb Kemmerer once again for hosting a brilliant ride.  I loved it the first year, and loved it even more this year.  Hopefully, nothing will stand in my way of enjoying 75 miles of Michaux's trails next year .