Re: [RC] [RC] Dumb TWH Question? - Truman Prevatt

Soli Sorokin wrote:

I got my first gaited horse almost a year ago, and have been making
the rounds locally to learn all I can about them.  I now own two, plus
the arab. Most folks around here in Tennessee ride gaited horses, and
perfectly good horses that aren't gaited get given away for
nothing....anyhow...

Gaited horses can and do trot, but the prevailing "wisdom" seems to be
to not allow them to do so, as it is believed that allowing this makes
it harder to keep them in the smooth gait. I know that different
muscle sets are used for the trot (a square gait) and most of the
smooth gaits, (which I believe are lateral).

If you look at the history of the breed - old Roan Allan would come in the show ring at the Tennessee State Fair in Nashville, win the three gaited class (walk, trot and canter) against the saddle horses (now know as three gaited Saddlebreds), come back in win the five gaited class (walk, trot, show rack, fast rack and canter) against the five gaited saddle horses and turn around and win the walking horse class. His son Midnight Son could do the same.

Those that say not to trot them should get a copy of "Echos in Hoofbeats" and learn the history of the breed.

Now, my own thoughts on the matter are, if we can train a horse to
walk, trot, canter, gallop, and stop when we ask it to, why can't we
train a few extra gaits (if the horse has them), also?  As someone who
doesn't mind a trot (it helps keep me in shape, to a degree), I like
the idea of having both options available to me and the horse.

That said, my TWH colt almost never trots. He doesn't want to, it's
just not natural to him....it's all rack, pace, and running walk with
him. My new TWH mare, on the other hand, trots, paces, performs the
running walk and rack. She seems to do all of them with equal ease,
although when in her paddock she mostly trots or does the running
walk. I'd like to get her to a point in her training that she will do
each when asked...she's only 4 so we have some time.

~S

--

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein