Re: [RC] Best Strirrups for Knees? - Truman Prevatt

Which probably means he needs a horse that has a slab sidded conformation rather than one that is built like a 50 gallon whisky drum. But that is a good point, it is not always the stirrup. It could be the horse - not all of us are built the same and some horses will work better than others. It could be the saddle and how the seat fits us. People will compensate for an uncomfortable saddle the same way horses will and compensation usually leads to pain.

It could be the type of leather. I find that I cannot ride in "western" type finders. The small amount of torque they put on my knees adds up to knee pain over 50 miles and almost puts me on my back for a few days in 100 miles. English leathers are much better for me. I tried all sorts of stirrups and nothing helped. When I got rid of the finders and went to English leathers - the knee pain went away.

Of course I rode the old walking horse mare for years - even some fast rides - in a western style endurance saddle with finders. But I rode her with a very long leg. Her trot was long, low and smooth as was her canter and gallop. When I started to ride the Jbird the same type saddle was killing my knees. An English saddle solved that. I normally don't like to ride wide horses. The Jbird and the mare were deep chested but slab sidded. On the other hand my young one, Avanti, is truly built like a 50 gallon whisky drum with withers. That little begger is between 15-1 and 15-2 and needs a 48 inch English girth. I, however, find him comfortable to ride since his gaits are quite smooth - especially his easy little lope. So not only can it be one of many things, it might be the correct combination that solves the problem.

Truman

Jonni wrote:

with HIS knees. He can not tolerate riding in a saddle with a wide twist.
If the seat has a more narrow twist, his knees have very little pain.

--

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein