[RC] Fw: brand inspections & mountain west states - Betty Wolgram

This is simply not true. Here in Colorado and I'm sure in Wyoming also, we
have a lot of out-of-state hunters, for example, who bring in horses. In
the 2005 Hunting Guide the Colorado law for bringing in/using horses is
clearly stated: "You must contact a veterinarian to get a Certificate of
Health Inspection within 30 days before horses enter Colorado. Horses also
need a Coggins Blood Test for equine infectous anemia within a year before
coming here. Call Colorado State Veterinarian's Office, (303) 239-4161. Residents: (meaning COLORADO residents) Horses may require brand inspection before transportation. Call brand inspector. (303) 294-0895."
This is the number for the Colorado brand inspector...each county has one of
its own. The law for Colorado residents is that any time a horse is
transported within the state more than 75 miles one way from its domicile it
must have a brand inspection (which has nothing to do with whether it is
branded or not, by the way). To avoid having to pay $15.00 every time a
horse is hauled this distance, most of us purchase a lifetime brand
inspection which is good as long as we own the horse...when the horse is
sold, another brand inspection must be done and so on.
Residents of non-brand inspection states are not required to have their
horses brand inspected to come into Colorado, only if you decide to move
here permanently. If it is different in other brand inspection states, I would like for someone to send me the information on the state law that says so.
Betty Wolgram
Craig, CO
All the mountain west states require a brand inspection and they "don't
care" if your state doesn't have them. They expect you to have one before
you cross the border or arrange to get one at the border. Ask some of the
2001 XPers about needing a brand inspection in Wyoming. The brand
inspectors are really serious about this and have a limited sense of
humor. They can impound your horse and fine you. Don't mean to sound
negative, but don't want you to be surprised. Cindy

[RC] Brand Inspections - Ridecamp Guest