Re: [RC] Bits/Advise - Suzi Maiorisi

I don't know if it's Morgans in general (though I doubt it), my Morgan hates anything in her mouth period.  She's perfectly happy in her hackamore.  I had her in one with the rubber covered chain and she was ok with it but I wanted something less severe and got her a Sliester with the leather across the nose and she's a happy camper now.  I have ridden her in a snaffle ONCE Smiley emoticon.  The previous owner rode her in a bosal alone.  Good luck,
Suzi and Holly
----- Original Message -----
From: Chris Paus
Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 10:23 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Bits/Advise

If I ruled the equine world, all Tom Thumb bits woudl be gathered up, melted down and made into something useful.

yes, it is quite likely the bit is hurting her. TTs have a "nutcracker" effect, squeezing the jaw, poking the palate and putting pressure on the poll. She is displaying classic avoidance behavior. She's speaking loudly and clearly.

Why did you change bits? From your message, it seems that you haven't always ridden her in this? Why not go back to what works?

My guess woudl be a nice soft French link or some kind of snaffle with two breaks. Those curve gently over the tongue. Or try a Mylar comfort snaffle.

The irony about TTs is that the people who have good enough hands to ride in them without hurting the horse are the kinds of people who could ride a horse with cotton for a bit and dental floss for reins. The horse responds to them because their hands are ever so light and they are asking far more of the horse with their seat and legs than with their hands.

Most of us are only that good in our dreams. Therefore we have to do the best we can to find a comfortable bit for the horse, a bit that will be forgiving in our hands.

You also probably need to have her teeth checked. If she has hooks or spurs on her teeth that could cause her extreme discomfort. She might have back issues or saddle fit issues. There are lots of things for you to explore here, starting with the bit.

Whenever a horse misbehaves, I first look at me and what I'm doing, Am I giving mixed signals? Then I start ruling out all the potential sources of pain and discomfort.

good luck.

chris

Ridecamp Guest <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Please Reply to: Carol Chorne1107@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi -

I have a wonderful Morab that I have owned two weeks, she has been a dream to ride on the trails, but she started something today, I need some advise on. I am experimenting with a tom-thumb sweet iron, but am not sure that is right for her. She started today, pulling as hard as she can her head down towards her feet and then speeding up. If I ask her to stop she throws her head down and plows right thru. Going thru brush, down trees, down hill, up hill it doesn't matter she pulls as hard as she can and plows whereever she think she needs to go. Basicly I have no control.

I have been told that Morgans have low pallets so am wondering if the tom thumb is hurting her. Any suggestions on bits and any advise on the pulling will be greatly appreciated.

You can email me privately so as not to clog ridecamp.

Thanks

Carol