[RC] grain founder - Susan E. Garlinghouse, D.V.M.

Take away the horse's access to all feed.  Continue access to water.  No more banamine until 12 hours past the first dose, then another ten cc (assuming this is a full sized horse).  Stand his feet in cold water or run a cold hose over them, or put on ice boots or whatever while someone else is hooking up the trailer.  Don't give him bute on top of the banamine, the banamine is the more powerful drug of the two and better for abdominal pain.  You sometimes give both, but doing so increases your risk of gastric ulcers ten-fold.

 Don't rely on heat in the hoof as an indicator for laminitis.  Assume there is ongoing inflammation in the feet.  There is.

Yes, DMSO is very effective, but you can't administer it yourself, a vet has to do it diluted IV or via nasogastric tube.  Don’t waste time screwing around trying to.

Call both of your vets again RIGHT NOW.  This is not a "deal with it when someone feels like it" scenario, and no, I'm not being dramatic.  I’m covering emergency call for my practice group tonight and if this call came into me, I’m not sure I would stop to tie shoelaces.

If there is an equine referral hospital within any reasonable driving distance (ie, less than twelve hours), load him up and get moving NOW.  Call and tell them you’re coming.  Decide on the way how much of a commitment you're willing to make to the horse if it comes to worst case scenario.  If he were my patient, I'd have him on a surgical table for a colon dump and IV fluids so fast, it'd make your head spin.

Close down your computer and get moving.  Good luck.

 Susan Garlinghouse, DVM, MS