Re: [RC] Removing Old barbwire , suggestions - Sisu West Ranch

When I was young and poor, I got free fence posts by removing a barb wire fence on a neighbor's property.

Get heavy gloves etc.  Cut the ties that tie the wire to the posts.  Hook onto the wire with a tractor or 4wd and pull.  This way you can pull loose 1/8 mile or so.  When it is free of the brush trees etc. roll it up into big rolls and dispose.  You will also need to do a bit of digging near the fence line.  Some people "maintain" barb wire by moving strands down as it rusts.  You may find that there is one or more strands in the dird at the bottom of the fence.

It is a lot of work, but not rocket science.

Alternatively http://www.horseguardfence.com/index.htm will sell standoff insulators that allow the erection of their electric tape fence inside of the barb wire.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road