[RC] Cool California-long - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Sheila Larsen Sheila_Larsen@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well I have lived in Cool for five years and here imo is the
what you need to think about.

If you are always late and in a rush don't move to Cool.  To
drive thru the canyon to Auburn is about 6 miles, if you drive 40 mph it takes
15 min. if you drive 35 it takes 16 min. and you
aren't risking your life  Somebody passed me this morning at the
quarry they must have been going 50mph.  Gee, I was one car
behind them at the Auburn light.  Expect gravel trucks, logging
trucks and horse trailers.  I just think that I am driving
through my back yard and enjoy the view.

If you want all the attributes of a big town don't move to
Cool. However, we have a wonderful general store (great meat and chocolate chip
cookies), a pizza place, vet, two haircutting places, bank, seveal real estate
offices, chinese
restaurant, and restaurant, and wonderful deli and post office.  A shopping
center is supposed to be going in, but all
I have heard is a Togos is going in.  Don't understand because
our Deli is wonderful. Almost forgot the Milestone Saloon, which
has good music particularly if you like blues (and loud music)oh
and a feed store.

Schools are supposed to be good, but I don't have kids so I
don't know for sure.

If you live in Auburn Lake Trails (ALT) which is the gated
community then you will have two arenas and reasonably direct
access to trails. However, you have to put up with the politics
of a gated community.  Otherwise, unless you are directly
adjacent to trails you will have to trailer to them.  You have
Auburn State Recreation Area with trails, the new Cronin  Ranch
acquisition, Dru Barner trails, Folsom trails and Western
States Trail all within a half hour drive and less.  It takes
me 5 minutes to get to the Olmsted Loop (aka Knickerbocker).
However, the Olmsted Loop is getting crowded on weekends with
both horses and bikers, but if you ride down into the canyon
trail traffic lightens up.

Air quality is terrible in the summer with high ozone levels.
The real estate folks used to say "below the snow above the smog"-ok it rarely
snows but the air quality is terrible-
something to consider.

Hope this helps, I guess I love living in Cool and don't want people to move
there unless they know what they are getting into
and don't try to bring the city with them.  Somebody was
complaining there wasn't a Noah's Bagel or Starbucks, I
suggested they move back to where they came from, we have the
Deli with good coffe (ok don't know about the bagels, but
great donuts)and wonderful sandwiches. So you can leave your
horse at the staging area, walk to either the pizza place or
deli for lunch, hey what more does one need.