[RC] Hydration thread: Dressing for the heat - Beth Leggieri

I do not remember seeing a post regarding tips for avoiding heat exhaustion and dealing with onset of the summer riding conditions in which clothing was mentioned.  Here's my two cents.

Due to a skin disorder called vitiligo in which my skin pigmentation is steadily decreasing, I must cover as much of my skin as possible to avoid direct sun contact (when one has no pigment to protect from the sun's rays, direct exposure results in dangerous intake of UVA and blistering of skin and fairly serious heat exhaustion).  Initially I thought this a terrible injustice since I must ride in the Texas heat, but over time I have found the exact opposite to be true.  I wear 100% cotton loose-fitting long sleeve shirts with collars (and a bandana that covers the front part of my neck).  Columbia makes a fabulous fishing shirt that is UVA treated and has mesh inserts in the front and back yoke as well as in the arm pit area (least expensive price to date is Academy Sports).  The result is movement of air across the body when one is actively moving (think fly fishing movements and you get my drift).  I set camp this weekend to ride Saturday evening in the midst of near record-breaking heat (second hottest May weekend on record in the Dallas/Fort Worth area--temperature neared 100).  Although the heat did indeed feel like a furnace blast, the effect of wearing loose-fitting long sleeved clothing kept me fairly comfortable from the cooling effect of perspiration within the clothing--rather than excessive dehydration from lack of clothing protection.

And of course I followed the usual procedures that work and have already been mentioned in this thread--preloading on liquids, sipping from my Camelbak frequently (not allowing myself to ever feel thirsty), and eating light foods (not allowing my stomach to get empty).  Because I also have migraines, I follow the common sense prescription:  don't get too tired, too hot, too hungry, or too thirsty--i.e., don't abuse your body.

And think about this--The Arabs managed to breed a horse able to withstand their harsh climate.  And how did they dress themselves?  Not in shorts and tank tops (religion aside please) but in flowing, loose long-sleeved garments.  They also kept their heads covered.  The result is constant cooling of the body by perspiration.  So now I see vitiligo as a blessing--by proactive measures of  clothing protection with a lot of help from SPF 50 lotion on those areas of my face and neck that are very difficult to keep covered, it is helping me avoid excessive sun exposure and most likely early skin cancer--and I'm staying fairly comfortable, considering that our Texas summers often offer their own version of desert heat conditions.

Perhaps others may find this helpful.  I did have two experiences with heat exhaustion/heat stroke years ago prior to the pronounced spread of the vitiligo (and I was wearing typical summer hot-weather clothing--sleeves shirt/shorts).  Following the clothing protection routine has been successful to date in avoiding repeat problems with heat collapse.

Beth Leggieri
Denton, Texas

Do You Yahoo!?