[RC] re: ponies in distance riding - Claire Nystrom

I think there is a tremendous variation among ponies as there is among
horses.  This said, my boyfriend and I both ride large ponies (neither
of us are tall).  My mustang/tb mare is 14.2 and has a very long
stride, medium build, and can really move out, so has no trouble
keeping up with the 16-17 hand horses that everyone seems to prefer in
this area.  We are currently doing our LSD training and I plan on
doing some 25s or competitive trail rides with her next year (finances
permitting). My boyfriends foundation quarter horse is about 14'1 but
has a very large build and has no problem carrying my 5'5" 180 lb.
boyfriend (he bodybuilds).  He is not an endurance type of horse as he
is too heavily muscled but is a fantastic trail horse.  My vet has
said that my mare is ideally built for endurance and she has no
problem carrying my boyfriend, is fired up and forward the whole time.
I also school a lot of medium ponies for people as I am rather petite
and even though my legs come down a bit far on some of them I am light
enough that they can carry me easily.  Some are short-strided, but
others really move in an efficient manner and I don't see why an adult
couldn't do endurance on some of them.  If you're looking for a pony,
just approach evaluating one as you would a horse for an endurance.  I
think that welsh/tb crosses can be fantastic and a lot of them are
very nice movers and have the right build for endurance.  You could
also try a connemara or just get a mutt cross like I have!  I love my
ponies and I can say that they're very sure footed and agile (which
can be a disadvantage at times, as they seem to be good at dumping
their riders in the blink of an eye!!)  I can also say that many are
very intelligent which always makes life interesting.

--
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in