[RC] Vaccines - Jonni

Everything Lynne said, and I want to support my vet the best I can. I have
been lucky to not have that many emergency situations in the past few years,
but by having the vet see the horses on a somewhat regular basis for
maintenance, they know the animals, and they know me.  I have to go to them
for rabies vaccination, coggins and health certs. anyway, so I just have
them do everything. Also, I have had one horse who reacts to vaccinations.
Taking him back to the vet after they vaccinated it was easier on my mind
that taking him in and saying "I did the vaccination, and now I have a
reaction". They mark the vet records with which vaccination was given where
on his body for me. (they are better at record keeping than I am! LOL) They
send reminders when the boys are due for vaccinations.

I take the horses to the vet, so have no call fee. Vaccinations are pretty
cheap from them, so it is not that huge of a savings to have them do it,
over myself. Also, I don't always trust shipped vaccinations through mail
order to have been kept and shipped cool, as most need to be.  But, you have
to talk to your vet, and ask them what they recommend. Some have no problem
with you doing your own vaccinations, and understand it is a big savings in
some areas to do so.

Jonni in No. TX