Re: [RC] Secrets to Hydration??? help...... - Mary Ann Spencer

We all have our individual differences and it is important to know what works for you.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, May 22, 2005 11:48 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Secrets to Hydration??? help......

> Most important for hydration is WATER.  AVOID alcohol and caffeine
> drinks.  HOWEVER, if one is sweating and the salts are NOT replaced,
> then one will get weak and can even have seizures.  I snack on potatoe
> chips.  Treatment with SALT TABS is not recommended anymore.  If you
> can't keep fluids down, you will need IVs.  Studies have shown that when
> we are thirsty we are already in early dehydration.  Yogurt or yogurt
> drinks can help if you like those.  Needs to be easy on the stomach.
>
> When not eating, take some sort of sports drinks.

Remember, there are those of us that cannot handle salty stuff.  And
you've got the answer here--FOOD!!   An important part of hydration is
EATING.

>I just use gatorade
> but NOT cold.  That is hard to drink fast and can give stomach cramps,
> especially if drinking it fast.

The flip side of that is that cooler drinks help to mitigate a hot body,
too.  Some people are prone to stomach cramps.  I can chug ice-cold drinks
and feel much better for doing so.  Likewise, tepid water doesn't help me
out near as much.

Heidi