[RC] opening ceremony, starting the ride - Steph Teeter

The language here still eludes me, I can't pronounce or remember the names
(Nik is easy) well. The sounds are different from any other language I've
heard. The people look a little different too. Dark skinned, and fairly
small. Glossy black hair, small featured faces, they don't look oriental
though, more like I remember the native people from Hawaii (my only other
experience with south sea islands) - I guess that's basically
Polynesia/Indonesia/Micronesia. Very friendly and gentle people, they seem
to enjoy guests and visitors, and seem generally happy and relaxed. (maybe
that goes with the tropics). As does sweating....

The food is sooooo good, but a little elusive also. I'm eating some sort of
dry crunchy peanut/anchovy - seems unlikely, but very good. And the curries
and coconut and peanut and lemon grass, shrimp paste, sweet brown sugar
dishes. I can't really tell exactly what is in the dishes, but it makes for
wonderful and adventurous eating!

So- the ride...
The big question in my mind (and others as well I think) is: Can it be done,
can horses do 160km Endurance in the tropics. And another question - Should
it be done? Is it just too much heat for the horses?

Can it be done - obviously yes. And the condition of the winning horse was
amazing. I think the riders/owners/trainers here need to find a balance
between 'lean enough to dissipate the heat' and 'enough body condition to do
the miles'. On the low end of the scale, many of the horses here are (imo)
simply underfed. When I see lean fit horses in the UAE I think - that's a
lean fit horse, no extra body fat, but adequately developed musculature, and
healthy looking, muscles fully loaded with energy. Some of the horses here
were lacking the musculature, especially along the back and hip, and were
ribby w/o the shine and gloss of an optimally conditioned horse.

But on the high end of the scale there were some awesome horses here too,
not quite as impressive to the eye as the prime UAE horses, but fit and
lean - but not too thin. Dr. Nik's horses (Ms Gedebe and Johgo) were very
nice, he's obviously an astute learner. Tn. Hj Shuib's horses (including the
horse I rode) were also in good condition - shiny and healthy looking (but
still thinner than what I'm used to!). My horse was a good size anglo arab,
narrow and lean, but well developed across the back and loins. He was also
well schooled, I suspect Shu'ib has a history with horses, equestrian
sports. There were other well conditioned, healthy looking horses - and some
very fine athletes. They just need to help educate all of the participants
here.

My ride story is rather brief - 35kms on the trail. But a very interesting
trail. I never had a chance to ride 'my' horse before the ride (after opting
out on Impressive),I put the first foot in the stirrups 15 minutes before
the start.  He's a big horse (15.2 or 15.3?) - dark red chestnut anglo,
seemed pretty relaxed and reasonable. I could tell as soon as I got on that
he was well schooled, a nice horse. Big, strong, goes well with a snaffle
and contact, forward but not nervously so. Just the kind of horse I like.

The opening ceremonies started at 2pm. Lots of people, 2 long viewing tents
along the riding arena, full of spectators, and the VIP tent at the head,
the Malaysian Sports Minister, the Sultan, various royalties, the OC chair,
Edaran (title sponsor, main supporter) watching from the stand. Drill team
display by mounted police, a mock game of Pato - an Argentine game with a
large 4 handled ball which has to be thrown into hoops on either end of the
arena. Before the game, the 'master and referee' examined each horse to make
sure the girth was tight. Once the game started the riders had to catch,
throw, and retrieve dropped balls off the ground all from horseback. Sort of
fast like polo, but focus in the air to catch the ball, and leaning down to
the ground (thus the tight girths) to pick it back up when missed. Fast and
fun.  This was followed by 'Tent Pegging' - which I didn't entirely catch,
but it's a game derived from the battle strategy of racing through camp on
horseback, and pulling tent pegs out of the ground, collasping the tents
around the enemy before they could rally. Fun.

While our horses were warming up, they had a 'Celebrity Ride' - Malaysian
celebrities mounting up and riding around the arena - sort of cute. Not
everybody was a superb rider. After the celebrities finished, it was time
for Flag Off on the 160km. Only 11 starters, so not a lot of confusion.
Pretty civilized.
Yus, the young man helping me, walked Azreah up until 15 minutes before the
start, then he announced that I could get on now. There's something
wonderfully appealing in giving ones self up to the chances and whims that
accompany riding in foreign places, following their customs. Whatever.. :)

Quiet civilized start, a few dashed off, the rest of us left at a nice trot.
I had one interesting moment when my horse wouldn't walk under the start
banner, just wouldn't. And I didn't know him well enough (at all actually)
to know what his limits were regarding pressing him into a situation he
didn't like. We made a few attempts, back around, forward again. Stopped
again and backed away, big horse, head straight up in the air. Meanwhile
crowds of spectators, cameras rolling, etc. :)  Finally somebody took him by
the bridle and led us under the banner, off we go.

more later -

Steph