[RC] trot or canter - larry Miller

I think it depends on the horse.  Some horses do better at a canter since they relax better.  My friend's horse canters at a 120 heart rate. Horse drops to nothing when slowed to a walk.  Other horses relax at a trot.  Usually the horse will tell one what pace it prefers.  The extended trot where those front feet flash is something else to ride.  It is fun but I don't let my horse do it for long.  I feel that that is definately hard on the horse, at least mine.  But when my mare is in her big extended trot, it puts a huge grin on my face, tears in my eyes, and whoopee in my heart.  Jeanie