[RC] response to Katrina's emails on Ridecamp - Cathy Leddy

I'm on the ATAA Inc MO Board of Directors and as I'm the only one of us that's been lurking on Ridecamp, I'm forwarding our Registrar's clarification to Katrina's emails.  Sorry if this is a bit off-topic.

Cathy Leddy

ATAA Inc. MO BOD

Here's an answer on what happened in the ATAA Inc. MO (Akhal-Teke Association of America, Inc. MO) from our registrar.

This action was not caused in any way by the American Akhal-Teke registry. In 1998 the current Akhal-Teke Horse Registry was formed, and while reviewing the inventory of Akhal-Teke horses in America it recognized that some American breeders over the years were duped by the Soviet/Russian system and purchased, directly or through other breeders, horses that were not pure bred.  Documents for these horses were issued in Russian; some were falsified by the Russian breeding farms, others clearly stated that the horse was not a pure bred, but no one seemed to be able to read Russian documents and verify pedigrees against the studbook of pure bred horses, which is also printed in Russian. After these horses came to Western Europe and America, breeders simply but erroneously assumed that the horses were pure bred.

While it may seem easy to blame "the politics that went on behind the scenes at the registry" the fact is that neither the Russian nor American registries had any choice in this matter.  All non-pure bred horses had to be identified and removed from the pure bred registry if the goal of the registry was to continue documentation and registration of pure bred Akhal-Teke horses.

Milena

ATAA Inc. MO Registrar