Re: [RC] How long did it take to get to your first ride? - Doubledal

Oh boy can I relate to this one!  I was hoping to be taking my mustang on his first 50 by this spring, but life kinda got in the way once again - husband coming home from Iraq, moving and having to keep my horse with my parents til I could find a barn here, health problems...  So for now we're content to do a 25 and count it as conditioning for a 50 further down the road.

I liked the suggestion of volunteering at a ride, what a great way to learn and still keep up with your "endurance friends."  Also, if you're really anxious to ride, but don't quite have the time to do all the conditioning, consider riding someone else's horse at a ride.  While I was in nursing school and just starting my career, I rode other people's horses a lot.  Often these folks had two or more fit horses that they wanted to take to a ride, but not enough riders.  Of course, both you and the owner have to be comfortable enough with your skills to do this, but it's another option for getting your endurance "fix."

Hope this helps!
Karen N.