Re: [RC] How long did it take to get to your first ride? - Kristen A Fisher

Right now, I can't change my work situation. I know I can't be alone in the lack of time I have to ride and condition my horse, and having to constantly adjust my priorities. I would love to hear from those of you who have had to put off your competive goals for a while, and learn how you stayed motivated during that time.

I just did my first 50 after a year of 25s on my now 17 yo mare, then I moved into a house that is 8 mins to my barn [down from 45-60 mins]. Less than 2 weeks later, I ripped a BIG hole in my medial meniscus, so I haven't ridden since late March.

But I figure I'd rather be at a ride even if I can't ride, so I have been volunteering - it's my opportunity to give back to the sport that has taken so much from me HAHA. No seriously, it's a great way to give back & participate until I can ride again. And not only is it good to contribute to a sport run by volunteers, you can learn so much about *everything* from volunteering at a ride. I have been arrival timer for 2 rides for the whole day, and you get to see a lot of different strategies & equipment people use [and you get to know EVERYONE!].

I was pulled at the end of one ride so I vet scribed the next day - that was the MOST illuminating. When you are riding you don't have much of a chance to compare your horse to others in the ride, but when you watch horses come in and out of VCs all day long you can mentally compare to your own horse, and also get a better feel for what vets look at - what's a concern, what issues are minor.

Good luck - I know I am eager to get back in the saddle.
Kristen in TX