From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Karen Casemier
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2005 8:08 AM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] How long did it take to get to your first ride?

I'm going through some frustrating times right now, feeling as if I'll
never get the time to actually do an endurance ride. My work schedule
has been crazy, and looks like it will be all summer. My husband is in
vet school, and is spending the summer working on a research project
which is turning out to be taking a lot of his time up as well. I had
high hopes for this summer being THE summer I would finally get in some
endurance rides. Because of both our schedules, we just can't seem to
keep the horses in a consistent work program, and I don't think it's
going to work out for this summer. In order to reduce some of the stress
and pressure, we've decided that we are going to back off this summer,
and just enjoy the time we do have with our horses and not worry about
getting them in shape for a particular ride.

In theory, I know the enjoyment in this sport comes primarily from all
the work we put into it BEFORE the ride - and I do really enjoy the
conditioning process, and even those days when I just take off the heart
rate monitor and the watch and just go out and ride for the fun of it.
But I like to have a goal to work towards, and it seems like life is
constantly getting in the way. I do know that once my husband graduates
from vet school, I can take my career down a couple of notches and I
will have more time - we also plan on moving to a location where we have
direct access to trails, which will make it easier as well.

Right now, I can't change my work situation. I know I can't be alone in
the lack of time I have to ride and condition my horse, and having to
constantly adjust my priorities. I would love to hear from those of you
who have had to put off your competive goals for a while, and learn how
you stayed motivated during that time.