[RC] Lots of questions colic, ulcers, neigh-lox - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Laura Yost glyost@xxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I will apologize now for asking about a subject that has probably been rehashed
numerous times. First our story, I have  been riding now 2 1/2 seasons with
Noble and finally managed to get my husband involved. We purchased a ex-area
horse last year with early trail experience but not a lot to mention in the
last 2 years, has been ridden consistently in arena. Currently cond. him nice
and slow, we live in the hills/mountains so he gets alot of different terrain.
His recoveries are great, ortho. wise he is never swollen, puffy or sore. Took
him on his first 25 LD last month, did the end of the pack ride thing and he
did great.  Couple weeks ago tried a slow 60 miler. End of the pack, eating,
drinking, peeing, pooping, electrolytes, pro-bios @ vet checks, 42 mile vet
check dove into water ate a little, refused an apple, and wanted to roll, he
really likes to roll at home (after rides especially) we let him roll but he
just rolled a little more than I was comfortable with.(no kicking or nipping at
his abdomen just wanted to roll, but just laid a little flatter a little longer
than normal) Recommended my husband just let the vet take a look at "Embarr" ,
We are not going anywhere and either is the vet kind of thing. Well vet
concluded he was in pain, within 2 min. sedated and treated with pain meds.,
tubed for gas or extra fluid... found nothing.  Now questions are, 1# should we
have walked him a little more (10-15 min) bathed him down really good before
treating?  We got home very proud of both our horses but husband very
discouraged. Decided to treat for ulcers. Embarr is the nervous type, thinner
than my easy keeper, higher grain intake than probably ever had, electrolytes
new to him, two rides (although very slow) within 2 1/2 weeks.  2# crazy to
suspect ulcer? (Vet in town does not have proper equipment to scope),We are
supplementing with vegtable oil to help keep weight on, 3# does oil block any
absorption of ulcer treatment?(cimetidine 8 gr 3x a day). Final question the
use of neigh-lox after ulcer treatment, what is proper usage? Legal to use at a
ride? give just around a ride?  smart to give every day with feed? if legal at
rides can you give it with electrolytes? Sorry so long really want to do the
smartest and safest with our horses. (we are both in the medical profession...
children and pregnant women are much different than horses with ulcers!)
Thank you so much for any answers
Lyost