Re: [RC] 93 ROC - Mary Ann Spencer

I recently got a hat to go under my helmut for that reason.  Have not used it yet as have not been able to get to a ride.  Found it on Ebay under rain hats.  I was concerned about the water going down the neck if there is no brim on your helmut.  Hence why the cowboy hats.  There used to be helmuts with cowboy hats on them but I have not seen them in recent times.  mas
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, May 13, 2005 8:52 AM
Subject: [RC] 93 ROC

Boy do I ever remember that ride.  Cool and drizzle most of the day, then
turning to snow after dark. ( Nina, where are you on this one, you were
riding solo)  I would say a great majority of riders, myself included came
into the finish line hypothermic.   Even though I had on a long waterproof
slicker, the water was running off my helmet and down the back of my neck so
that my clothing was getting wet inside anyway.  Had on cotton material, and
the saying " cotton kills" in wet weather could never be more true. Luckily
had a rump rug on my horse and she did pretty well. Horses that did not have
them seemed more prone to being tight in the back end. Practically fell off
the horse, and my husband had to put me in the cab of the truck, ( on fancy
trailer then) get me out of my wet clothes , into dry ones, turn on the
heater and wrap a blanket around me.  Two lessons learned.  Always have a
polar fleece or wool type clothing with you when going  into  the mountains,
and something to deflect the water off the helmet and onto the outside of
the slicker.  Even a tight fitting zipped up collar on a rain proof jacket
wound have been better.

Cheryl