[RC] Prineville wreck - apleg8'n

Ok, I have read this thread and have had private emails telling me to tell my story so here it goes. First I will mention that I was the first to be hit in this domino of events and a controlled start would not have prevented it and maybe a breastplate could have helped the situation.

I am going to end this with what I sent to my lists that is always my way of describing my "Amber Adventures" and hopefully some of you can chill out and get a smidgeon of humor as I did and I was injured too believe me as I sit here dreading a sneeze or cough.

The rider of the runaway horse was on a very steep climb and her saddle slipped backwards on her mare. Her husband riding behind her told her to dismount immediately. When she put the weight into her stirrup the saddle rolled under the horse. The horse then bolted, throwing the rider off and this rider was injured badly too.

This happened at least two miles from the start of the ride. I was a little above mid pack on a horse that was at his first ride of the season and really feeling his "oats" as he sometimes does at these events for the first few miles. Behind me was my other horse with a first time rider at AERC and behind him a woman then clear for a spell.

Then the rest of the LD riders coming in various groups. No controlled start would have prevented what happened I am here to tell you. The spacing of riders was big enough and I never saw any LD riders "racing" for a start in fact I found most of us left in a very orderly manner well after the beginning and when you read the rest of my story below I was mortified at just how many riders came up "behind" me to my utmost chagrin. So there you have it from MY PERSPECTIVE now maybe you can read on and get a bit of a laugh out of how I dealt with it all.

amber NW Division