Re: [RC] Grazing Muzzle - Marta Kozlowska

On 5/17/05, Molly & Doug Covert <gotmilk@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
My guy is super motivated to eat.  So when I put the muzzle on the first
time, he tossed his head around for about ten minutes and then decided he
better figure out how to eat!

i always thought my mare was a motivated eater, too, until now:(

I would continue to let your mare figure out the muzzle.  It sounds like she
is sulking.  If she's hungry and motivated to eat, she'll put her head down
and eventually get it.  Maybe if you are really worried about her (I
wouldn't sweat it too much because she is drinking and you are taking it off
at nite - and feeding a bit of hay?) would it be possible to take it off at
lunch time?  And then right back on when you leave.  To me, this is counter
productive and she learns to wait til you come to "rescue" her.

taking it off at lunch time is not possible. and i agree, it does
sound counterproductive. she usually gets some beet pulp and her
mineral supplment (m30) before the muzzle goes on in the a.m.  i don't
give her hay daily but if she starts loosing too
much weight i will start. right now she gets hay on the days i ride
(that's when she comes in).

By the way, I use the full halter style muzzle.  The one that is $60.  There
are a couple of company's now that have the same style for $15.  I have
bought two of these and like them better than the original.  They use velcro
to adjust size.  Sometimes tiny increments make all the difference on
whether or not they can get the muzzle off on their own.

thanks for the suggestion. i got her the best friend with the full
halter as well. i paid $70(!) for it at petsmart (didn't want to wait
to get it off the web). $15 sounds a lot better.

thanks for all the input!

marta (& sulking kipper)

god created women so his horses would survive