Re: [RC] Being the Herd Leader - heidi

kat said: >>> However, what your horses MUST learn is not that you are
the herd leader (trust me, the herd leader doesn't give a shit if the
other horses in the herd squabble among themselves); what your horses
must learn is that you are NOT a part of the herd, you are a HUMAN, and
consequently, such horselike behaviour is totally unacceptable when you
are around.<<<

I'm sorry, I guess because so many folks use the phrase "hear leader",
it was what I thought of first, to convey my point. I am not one to want
my horses to look at me as another horse. Never have been. I am in
charge, I call the shots. I'm the one with thumbs...and I want them to
KNOW that.  And that means, NO squabbling with each other in the pasture
while I am near enough to get hurt.
Jonni

While kat is right that you want the herd to know that you are NOT one of
them, but rather you are somebody that is totally in charge, I do have to
disagree about herd leaders tolerating squabbling.  When there is
squabbling in the herd, it is a sign that the leadership is not well
established.

I was blessed for many years with a real "Lead Mare" herd leader, and for
all the years that she was in charge, there simply wasn't any squabbling.
Each horse knew her place, and that was that.  Squabbling is a sign that
the herd lacks a real "alpha" leader, and that the pecking order is still
in dispute.

Heidi