RE: [RC] Time off before 100s - tom noll

Greetings:

Many others with far more experience than I have already written on the time off question.  I think that there is another resource worth consulting.

The ultrarunners have debated tapering before a big race and the consensus seems to be that a two or three week taper is beneficial.  I know that I would rather show up at the starting line a little under-trained rather than a little injured and I try to follow the same advice for my horse.  And, I remember that it took me about a month to fully recover from running a mountain 100.  One hundred miles is a long way and any injuries or deficiencies will surely manifest themselves over that distance.

I believe that the human experience translates to equines.  You can read other runners ideas on the taper at (some of the authors have been very successful and the first post is particularly good):

and over training at:

and about ultrarunning topics in general at:

Several have posted that they had exceptional horses that could run 100 after 100 and I do not doubt that is true.  So, the question becomes, ?Is your horse an exceptional endurance athlete?? or perhaps ?Are you feeling lucky today??  Hostile Indians no longer chase us, so no race is worth compromising the horse.

Best Regards,

Tom Noll
SW Idaho