[RC] Being the Herd Leader - k s swigart

Jonni said:

I never, ever allow my horses to bite, kick, chase, squabble,
or even make pissy faces at each other if I am nearby. I do
NOT want in the middle of a fight, as chances are, I will get
hurt. They MUST learn you are the herd leader, and to knock
off the crap when you are out there with them.

While I also do not allow my horses to bite, kick, chase, squabble, etc.
when I am nearby, and for the very same reasons.  However, what your
horses MUST learn is not that you are the herd leader (trust me, the
herd leader doesn't give a shit if the other horses in the herd squabble
among themselves); what your horses must learn is that you are NOT a
part of the herd, you are a HUMAN, and consequently, such horselike
behaviour is totally unacceptable when you are around.

Despite many people's contention to the contrary and all the constant
repetitions in the popular press (and here on Ridecamp, I might add),
one of the first steps to safe horse handling is to teach your horse, "I
am NOT a horse, and therefore, may not be treated as such.  Your
relationship with me will be different from your relationship with all
your horsie friends."

If the "be the herd leader" concept helps you to establish a working
relationship with your horse, then by all means use it.  But if it
doesn't, that's okay....because it is a bullshit concept, and I
guarantee you, no matter how you may be decieving yourself, your horse
does not think of you as another horse....and a good thing too.  I have
seen the way that horses treat each other, and I want no part of that
kind of a relationship. :)

By all means, it is extremely important to teach your horses that they
aren't allowed to squabble among themselves when you are around.  But
the underlying premise of this is "because I am a human, and we people
don't play that way."  Being domesticated animals, horses have
absolutely no difficulty in coming to grips with the horse-human
relationship (it is, after all, why they were domesticated in the first
place :)), just so long as they have humans who can explain it to them.
If the humans don't, THEN is when you get horses continuing to engage in
dangerous "horseplay" when people are around.

kat
Orange County, Calif.