[RC] straight loads with mangers, and not tied - Jonni

One of the problems with some of the older 2 horse straight load trailers,
that have the mangers in them, is if the horse got their head down to the
floor, often the trailer stall was not long enough for the horse to maneuver
its self well, to get their head back up. I have heard of horses breaking
their necks on a fast emergency stop, when the head was down, and the horse
was slammed forward into the front of the trailer. Now, I want to state, by
saying "heard of", that means one of those stories passed down as long as I
can remember, yet never knew of a horse personally that this happened to.
Slant loads are different, as a quick stop has the horses side still taking
the bump, as to its chest, or neck of head is down.

Also, if you let your horse loose in a trailer, make sure the rear doors are
tall enough, they can't decide to jump out. This I HAVE seen. Thankfully,
they were not going down the highway at the time.

I have trailered tied, and loose.And in individual slant load stalls, and in
the whole trailer (4 horse) with dividers back against the wall. If I plan a
long trip, and I want to leave the horse loose, I make sure I have tried it
a few short trips at home, see which way the horse likes to face, how much
moving around they do, and if they seem comfortable before deciding to do so
on the long trip.

There are pros and cons to each, and only you can decide which is right for
your horse, and your trailers set up.

Jonni