[RC] The Car Analogy (was: HRM's and Increasing Intensity) - k s swigart

Mike Sofen said:

We use a speedometer in a car to tell us how fast we're going and an
odometer to tell us how far we're going.  But unless we have a
tachometer
(or have trained our ears to recognize the different sounds the engine
makes), we can't tell how fast the engine is spinning.  So in a car
with an
engine that redlines at 5,000 rpm, if you forget to shift into 4th
gear on
the freeway and you have your radio cranked up and no tachometer,
you're
driving along until your engine explodes from running at 9,000 rpm in
3rd
gear.

Granted, that's a car, AND the analogy is valid.  First, Kat, you're a
professional horse person (at least I think you are, I could be wrong)
with
a long history with horses.  You're not going to forget to "shift into
4th"
and you're not going to have the radio cranked.  You also know what
5000 rpm
in a horse sounds/feels like.  Newer and more casual riders in this
sport
won't have that knowledge base.

Speaking as somebody who has towed her trailer to endurance rides all
over the western US for the over ten years in a '72 Ford, 4-speed manual
transmission pick-up in which the only gauge that works is the engine
temperature gauge (it doesn't have and never has had a tachomoeter, the
odometer, the speedometer, the ampmeter, the oil pressure, and the fuel
gauges haven't worked for as long as I have owned the thing; the engine
temperature gauge didn't work when I bought it, but I fixed that one
when I replaced the engine).  And no, I didn't drive with the radio
cranked because....well...it doesn't have (and never has had) a radio,
but even if it did, I wouldn't drive with it cranked since, to quote a
guy I dated in college, "If you want your car to last a long time, don't
drive with the radio on."  Because your car is gonna start to sound
funny before it starts to act funny.

I cannot say, in the thousands of miles that I used that truck to tow my
trailer to endurance rides that it never had any mechanical problems
(and it was always a close run thing whether it would overheat going
over the Baker Grade :):):) such that I always planned to drive over
night when going up that way); however, I can say that I never once
needed a tow.  I did, once, have to replace a fuel pump on Sunday in
Utah, I did miss the last two days of the Death Valley ride because it
wasn't prudent to take it over the pass into Death Valley (this was back
in the days when the Death Valley ride actually did go into Death
Valley), and we did take the horse out of the trailer going up the grade
between the Panamint Valley and Trona (where I replaced the points).
Despite the fact that the gas gauge never worked, I have never run out
of gas. And despite the fact that the speedometer never worked, I never
got a speeding ticket...and I can tell you, within about 5mph how fast I
am going.

The reason, I contend, that I was able to take that POS truck all over
the western US and have it get me there and back was because I paid very
close attention to the way it sounded while it was driving down the
road.  And even though I no longer use that truck to pull my trailer (I
got a deal on a diesel that I just couldn't pass up), I can still tell
when pretty much any car "sounds funny."  In fact, just last summer, I
was visiting my dad, and as we were driving to the grocery store in his
Explorer I told him, "you know, your car is making a funny noise back in
the exhaust somewhere; you might want to have it looked at."  He
didn't....and he and my sister got stranded up at the end of a dirt road
a few days later....because of a problem with the catalytic converter.
This is not the first time such a thing has happened, and my father (and
a lot of other people as well) has learned to pay attention to me when I
tell him his car is making a funny sound. :)

It is FAAAAR wiser to tell people who are first learning to drive to
listen to their car than it is to tell them to look at the tachometer
(not only because lots of cars don't have them :)).  Certainly, when my
dad taught me to drive, in a stick shift, he taught me to shift by the
sound of the engine, not by what it said on the tach....because only one
of our three cars even had a tach.  However, the reason that drivers
need to be taught to listen to their cars, and to not drive with the
radio cranked, is because there is far more to listen to than just
engine revs.  NONE of the gauges (except that idiot "Check Engine" light
that everybody ignores because it is an unreliable indicator of
anything; half the time it just means you didn't turn the gas cap enough
times before driving off:)) will tell you that you have a problem with
your catalytic converter as well as "your car is making a funny noise."

The gauges are handy, and it is helpful if they are working; but they
aren't essential.

I personally consider it far more important to tell people not to ride
"with the radio cranked" on their horse because it is essential that you
LISTEN to your horse; and my experience is, if you listen to your horse,
and your horse tells you something is not quite right (i.e. it starts
"making a funny noise" to carry the analogy further), you need to pay
attention.....EVEN IF you then check all the gauges (assorted
parameters, of which HR is only one, BTW) and they are all within normal
ranges, you still need to listen to your horse's little voice that says
"something isn't quite right."

I am actually of the opinion that HRM's for beginners/inexperienced
riders are more of a detriment than a valuable tool (that isn't to say
that they can't be employed as valuable tools, just that novices aren't
usually the ones to do so), because many of them make the mistake of
then thinking "A HRM gives me that info unambiguously." In my
experience, more people use them to reassure themselves that they aren't
asking too much (when they very well might be) than to discover when
they ARE asking too much.....more on that later.

kat
Orange County, Calif.