[RC] Pipe panels - safety - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Sharon Hahn sharon.hahn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

What kind of horses will you have?  For older horses that are
happy to stand quietly, it might not be a problem, but:

1.  My weanling used to get cast occasionally until she
figured out her body size.  Once she managed to get her
foot through the web gate, which wasn't a huge deal since
she just quietly waited for help, but it gave me a heart
attack when I found her.  Getting a foot through a pipe panel
would be more of a problem.

2.  A bored horse on stall rest due to an injury (or a
stretch of bad weather) might start playing with the
panels and get stuck.

3.  Neighbors might fight or kick at each other.

Consider having wood about 4 - 4.5 feet up and then leave
the rest open or use screens - that should give you decent
circulation while being quite a bit safer.

Faith Bongiorno fmbong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

The reason I am writting today is my mother-in-law and I are looking to
build a barn on our property.  We are debating back and forth over the use
of pipe panels.  The outer shell of the barn is going to to be log like
their house, but she wants to use pipe panels as the stall dividers, I have
reservation about this so I am trying to find information on the pros/cons
of pipe panels versus tradtional box stalls.  Her main reason is not money
but air movement since we live area of the south that has high humidity!
The horses would only be in there to eat and for bad weather.  Any
experieces, suggestion, or comments would be greatly appreciated.