RE: [RC] TV Program about Endurance riders and wildlife encounters - heidi larson

Hmmmm.... was riding on logging roads behind my house and was thinking about elk, don't know why, I'd never seen any while riding.  Not 15 min. later, my gelding stood stock still, and looked back along the road the way we'd come.  15 elk stood up out of the clear-cut brush and alders and trotted off past us.  My guy held his breath and I could feel his heart pound on my legs.  They were all cows and older calves, but what a beautiful sight!  Can they move through the brush or what!?

Next cool sighting, same gelding, same logging roads, it was getting dark and I was about 5 miles from my house, had my collie dog with me and on the side of the road there was a black "spot".  I'm thinking stump, etc.  The dog went nuts, horse froze and quit breathing again, the black "thing" waddled into the brush and I heard it start to go up a tree.  (I was raised in Canada in a fishing camp and know that sound!) Well, it decided the dog was wimpy and wouldn't tree, must have turned on the dog a little, as he came back out of the woods, tail flagged up over his back and barking over his shoulder, (he was wimpy.) My other collies would have NEVER put up with that! Horse started breathing again and off for home we went!  LOVE to see the bears and other wildlife.  Hawks love to follow us, or actually they fly ahead and watch for anything we might scare up.  They've done this for over a mile, big red-tailed hawks.  My personal favorite are ravens, they have a great sense of humor.  If I hear one, I answer and they will usually come swooping in to investigate.  When their kids are out flying with them, they will all come see who is calling them, then they do that chortling laugh (which I can't imitate! Only the kawing!) and usually I throw them some of my lunch!  Have seen herons, bobcats, deer, porquipines, coyotes, (pups too) and bald eagles.

Heidi-aerc#M20935 /\_/\~ http://www.synjinarts.com
~~/~~ \\~~~~ (Wildlife/Western & Equine
| \~~~~~~
| \~~~~