[RC] Easy Boot Questions - Dreamweaver

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I was wondering if A.
do you HAVE to use the easyfoam, or can you keep the boots on w/
vet wrap and duct tape if needed, like say for a 50?  Also, B.
is it bad to have the fronts w/ one foot easybooted and one w/
just a shoe?  Will that throw off the horse's gait for any
reason?  Thanks,

Hi Lauretta -- you don't have to use the foam unless you have a specific reason for doing so. Such as you want to keep the boots on for a longer period of time, like say for a multiday or a weekend camping trip -- you would use the foam if you wanted to have a little extra insurance that the boots won't come off. The foam also provides excellent cushioning and protection.

Most of the modifications that I make to the boots, are because I do ride long distances in the boots. Over time I have figured out many things that can be done to help keep the boots on, or to reduce or eliminate some of the problems that are most commonly encountered. You only need to use vetwrap if the boot won't stay on without it, or if you want to provide some extra cushioning and protection for a soft heelbulb. You can also foam the boots on without a heelstrap to protect the bulbs in the back.

As far as using only one or two boots on the fronts, that will depend on the horse and the situation. If you have a shoe coming off, or that has come off then using one to get into the next check or finish is probably just fine. If you want to ride a whole ride that way it would depend upon the horse and how he moves with just one boot on. Some horses adapt to using boots a lot quicker and easier than others do. I've seen lots of people use boots on only one foot with no problems at all.

Karen
in NV