[RC] Training to drink - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Sharon Hahn sharon.hahn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Cassie:  Give him time. He might be excited about his new home,
or worried about passing a dominant herd mate to get to the
trough, or maybe your water tastes funny compared to the vintage
at his previous home.  Provide plenty of easily accessible,
clean water and see how he does after a while.  Also, if he is
grazing, and didn't have fresh grass before, he is probably
getting water from the grass as well.

I have a question.
        I just bought a 6 year old Arab and I haven't had a chance to ride him
yet but his previous owner was proudly telling me what an easy keeper he is.
He stays fat just a little grain and hay and hardly drinks any water.  I kept
the horse stalled the first night so we could get to know each other and I was
concerned he only drank about a quarter of a bucket of water in about 18 hours.
He ate well, loved the grass and carrots.  I checked his hydration and his
skin was tenting.  He's out with the other horses now and even though I don't
see him at the trough his hydration when checked is better.  It still isn't
snapping right back.

       Are there tricks to get him drinking on the trail.  I know the
standard-give him time and ride long enough to make him thirsty.  Could I have
just bought a horse that prefers to stay a little dehydrated?

Cassie