Re: [RC] Any restrictions on RIDER drugs? - Truman Prevatt

If by chance endurance is ever an Olympic sport - they will have to ride clean. The Olympics is getting very snippy about that. But for the AERC - if it's legal it legal. The one thing that riders should keep in mind is that NSIDS, Advil, Aleve, Motrin, etc. can trash the liver of a dehydrated person just as bute can trash the liver of a dehydrated horse.

Given the tendency of people to take a lot better care of their horse's hydration state as their own, they might want to be careful what they pop.

Truman

rides2far@xxxxxxxx wrote:

As my personal medicine chest grows larger, I was just
wondering - I know my equine friends are supposed
to "Just Say No" -- but are there any rules under AERC,
FEI, etc. about RIDER drugs?

AERC: no official rule. Unofficial policy is share with anyone else who is whining and never pass up a chance to fill a prescription even if the root canal didn't hurt. Personally though, I'm an Aleve in moderation person but swore after my last broken collarbone on the trail that I'd keep something stronger with me in case of an emergency.

FEI: Not sure about now, but in 2001 when they were still all hopeful of
becoming an Olympic sport they mentioned that they would like for riders
to declare their drugs and there was quite an uproar. Some folks seem to
be traveling pharmaceuticals!

Now, *I* have a question. If taking drugs dilates the pupils...does that
give a drugged up rider an advantage with night vision? >g<

Angie

--

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein