[RC] vertigo - Mary Bradford

4 years ago my husband came off a horse and bought some nice hard montana real estate flat on his back from top of head to heels.  It knocked him out for several minutes and resulted in some short term memory loss and some long term dizziness ( 4 weeks off work-unpaid).  He tried to get back on the horse a few days later  and was so dizzy he had to get back off.  That inspired him to go to the doctor.  The doctor said riding a horse was one of the worse things to do when concussed or dizzy because the motion aggravates the vertigo.  That made him feel better because I assumed he was scared (major macho man was very disgusted with me).

Anyway, my point is this!  He seems to have sustained some inner ear damage.  Every time he gets a head cold or overly tired (which may apply in your case) he gets dizzy spells and vertigo.  So, something similar may have happened to you.  Being overly tired or maybe a little stuffy in the head affected your inner ear (which is responsible for balance) and the motion of the horse would make it even worse.  I'm pretty sure dehydration can cause dizziness also.  Drink small amounts of liquid the whole time (just like your horse)  not caffeine, that can dry you out more so that coffee drink was a no no.  I know I can't guzzle water but I can sip it all day long.  I would bet  it isn't something you will have to deal with everytime.  Dramamine or its equivalent can help but get the non drowsy kind and take it before you need it.  It won't stop it after it stops.  It will only help prevent it.  If you get the drowsy kind it will put you to sleep. I figure that is how it works.  Makes you sleep through any dizziness!  Good luck, I hope I helped.

In case any one is curious, the reason my husband, who doesn't ride well,  was on the horse was because I was pregnant and couldn't ride.  I saw the spook coming and said hold on as he was somersaulting over the horses shoulder.  When Charles woke up, he didn't remember I was pregnant or the horse with the saddle on.  What a whack!  Poster child for why you should wear a helmet I guess.

Mary
Helena Montana

Yahoo! Mail